Monday, December 8, 2008

When I first got to Mizzou, I didn't know anyone, where anything was or even what I was really doing here.  I've wanted to be a journalist for a while now and people had told me this was the place to go if you wanted to do journalism. Now, after just one semester here, I am wondering if journalism is what I actually want to do.  The only reason my parents were willing to pay out of state tuition was because of the reputation of the School of Journalism and now I'm thinking about changing my mind.  Although J1010 is an annoying class, I think I learned so much about what journalism is and what journalists actually do because many of the speakers had real world experience.  I would tell incoming freshmen to be open to change.  College is so different from high school, especially if you are leaving your home, family and friends for an extended period of time for the first time ever.  Even if you think you are positive you know what you want to do after school, at least consider some other options if anything else interests you.  The structure, people and environment might not be similar to what you are used to but change is often good.

No comments: