Sunday, December 7, 2008

First Semester

As odd as it sounds, I had been looking forward to college since 8th grade. My first semester at Mizzou was all that I expected it to be and more. One of the main suggestions I have for new freshmen is stay on top of your school work. I know it sounds cliché, and I'm sure you've heard it a million times before, but: college is vastly different from high school. No one is here to remind you about your test next week, or your project that's due. Plan things out. Time management skills are a necessity, especially when it comes to studying for 5 or 6 different classes.

Get involved. Joining a FIG was probably one of the best decisions I made when enrolling at Mizzou. It's a great opportunity to meet new people that have similar interests and goals in mind. It makes it less awkward during the first week, as well. Don't be afraid to leave your room and meet new people. 

Accept the fact that going to college means change. You're living on your own. Your parents have no idea what you're doing. You're responsible for your own actions, so act accordingly. And take responsibility. You're paying good $$ to come here, so try and take advantage of every opportunity available. 

No comments: