Sunday, December 7, 2008

FIG Rewind

When I first heard of the Freshman Interest Groups (FIGs) at Mizzou, I was not interested in joining one. I thought I would be limiting myself in the classes I would take and the friends I would make during my first semester in college. I was wrong. Becoming involved in the Convergence FIG was the best decision I could have made as an incoming freshman.

The classes I took with fellow FIG members satisfied some of my general education requirements. FIG also allowed me to co-enroll in classes with students in my FIG for second semester. Having class with people I live with took away the fear of not knowing anyone. It made the transition to college life smoother, especially in the first couple of weeks of school.

I would recommend to future Convergence figlets that they make a sincere effort to get to know the people in their Freshman Interest Group and get involved in extracurricular activities. Whether you hold a part-time job on campus, work for The Maneater or are simply in Tiger’s Liar, becoming involved makes the week go by a little faster and introduces you to new people in the process.

No comments: