Sunday, December 7, 2008

Freshman Year

College is a huge change for a teenager to make.  It is the first time living on my own and being on my schedule only.  I get to pick what time my classes are and I have a whole lot more freedom to do what I want.  The first couple weeks were a little weird for me.  I didn't know what to do with myself.  I didn't have anyone to tell me what to do or that I need to clean up or get my homework done.  I didn't even have to go to class, but for some reason I couldn't let myself not go.  I feel that I started out on the right foot; the only day I missed classes was when I wasn't feeling well.  I feel that you can learn a lot from just going to class.  Most of my teachers gave a good idea of what to study for on the exam during classes and reviews, but if someone wasn't there, then he just missed out.

When I really started to enjoy my first semester was when I started playing rugby.  I really wish I would have joined the team earlier in the season because I only got to have two practices and one game.  I had so much fun and everyone was so welcoming and helpful when I had no idea what was going on.  I think of it like a sorority, with the whole "sisterhood" kind of idea, but without the crazy cost to join.  Someone always gave me a ride to practice and took me with them to get something to eat afterward.  They made me feel more at home.

If I had any suggestions for a newcomer, there are two that pop into my head immediately.  Stay on top of your schoolwork because once you get behind, catching-up is a never ending uphill battle.  School really isn't that bad, just get out of bed and go to class.  The other is to get involved.  College wouldn't be college without the exciting, new social experience.  Whatever your interests are, you can find people who have the same.  Get out, make friends, and have fun!

No comments: