Sunday, December 7, 2008

The FIG experience

When I first heard about the FIG program at Mizzou, I was a little skeptical. I did not think that it would be as beneficial as the University said it would be. The thought of taking similar classes with people on the floor seemed to have its drawbacks. I thought that it might limit the types of classes that I take, or even the people that I meet. However, joining a FIG was one of the best decisions I made here at Mizzou.
The summer before my Freshman year, I was worried about my experience here at Mizzou. I was the only student from my graduating class to go to Mizzou, and I worried that the transition from Chicago to Columbia would be rough. Not to mention, I would not know a single person at the University. I arrived at Mizzou a week early to go through Sorority Rush Week. This was a great opportunity for me to make friends and join a sorority, and to find my niche in such a large university. While I did make some great friends throughout rush week and within my sorority, the friendships that I built within my FIG are more like a family.
Another great part of the FIG program is that it is very easy to form study groups. You will have a couple of classes with other members of you FIG, and so it is very easy to go over and exchange notes, and stay updated on assignments.
A word of advice that I can give with regards to roommates is that you have to keep lines of communication open, and also you have to be willing to make some compromises. It can be difficult to live with a complete stranger, however you cannot expect that your roommate will tolerate living habits that you or your close friends deem ‘acceptable’. It would be very beneficial to lay down some ground rules before problems erupt. Also, it is very important to get involved in school activities. Whether you prefer activities that require more responsibility such as writing for the Maneater, or just having fun in cheering sections such as Tigers Lair and Zou Crew, getting involved in an organization can greatly improve your experience at Mizzou.

No comments: