Saturday, December 13, 2008

My 1st Semester Experience

First semester has been interesting, to say the least. Upon coming here I knew that I would have a lot more freedom and independence, but it still stunned me how in charge and in control i was. I got to choose what I did, when and what I ate, what time I came home, etc. It was new and, most importantly, liberating - I loved it. I'm also really glad I joined a FIG because it let me have people I knew in my classes and we could all help each other. It created for us a bit of a floor family. I've met some wonderful people and interesting characters who I know I won't forget.
I have also managed to keep my grades at a level that I wanted them to be, and since I wasn't always successful with this in high school due to pure laziness and indifference, it is a big deal to me. I am also glad to have been able to learn so much even through FIG class and J1010 about convergence, as it is what I will be doing for the rest of my life. I have not decided to change my major, as many people have told me I will likely do at some point in my college career. I'm sticking with journalism and am currently toying with a few minors in my head.
I'm also glad I was able to get involved in the university outside of class by earning money at the Catalyst Cafe - luckily I got it before the hiring freeze - and being part of your Gillett residential recycling crew with Trupti and Austin. I've also had fun decorating for the Christmas party and being a part of other floor activities. It's been real. Thanks for a good first semester!

No comments: