Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Journalistic Integrity

Let me begin by saying that I thought the conversation was interesting, but there is one phrase that I thought could sum up the whole thing: journalistic integrity. I think everything that we talked about in the conversation comes back to being a good journalist and a good person along with that. Journalistic integrity isn’t just about writing about what you think people will read, it’s also about knowing what is right and wrong to talk about, why you should write about it, and how far to push a subject. I think the talk about politician’s personal lives being separate from their political lives was the biggest example of journalistic integrity.

 

            I agree with the speaker when se said that journalists are much more intrusive when it comes to politician’s personal lives. However, I also agree with her point that every aspect of that person’s life could effect how they lead the country. So in that sense the person’s political life and their personal life are intertwined.  If there is anything that could prevent the candidate from doing their job to the fullest extent then we, as voters and people, have a right to know before our vote is cast.

 

            However, I believe that there is a line that can be crossed and many times journalists do cross this line. I think that issues should be pressed until the people can get what they need out of the story and then move on. I find that in today’s journalism, an issue isn’t over until it’s been viewed (and skewed) from every viewpoint imaginable.  The story is told so many times that it’s like beating a dead horse by the end of it. In my own opinion some examples are the Obama/Reverend Wright controversy and on the other side of the isle, Sarah Palin and her daughter’s pregnancy. I think a politician should say why they made the decisions they made and state their case. If they are upfront and honest, then the media should be understanding and not go overboard with “coverage.”

No comments: