Monday, September 29, 2008

Mizzou Football

             I’ve never really been a huge Mizzou fan. Even though I’ve lived in Missouri for the past 15 years. My parents are from Texas and I’ve always been a fan of teams from Texas like UT, UTEP- University of Texas at El Paso and Baylor. Two of these teams are in the same conference as Mizzou and compete against them year in and year out.

            My brother graduated from Mizzou and in all three years that he was here not once did I come up to watch a football game. I’m pretty much the sports fanatic of my family, so it’s a little weird for me not to have attended a game. The past year and a half though I’ve become a huge Mizzou fan. I have so many Mizzou T-shirts that my friends from home would make fun of me for wearing a different one everyday for weeks on end.

            I was dismayed when tickets for the Mizzou, Illinois game sold out before I could get tickets myself. I ended up being able to watch it at The Blue Note, which had an amazing screen and was a lot of fun. But I couldn’t wait to go and see the team play at Faurot.

            Our first home game was against SEMO. The college is located an hour and a half from my home town and I have a friend on the team. So, it felt a little odd watching SEMO and Mizzou play in my first football game at Faurot. But it was nice to see Mizzou win easily and make fun of my friends that attend SEMO.

            Walking into the stadium and seeing the lights and the crowd is an image I will never forget. The atmosphere at a football game is something I’ve never experienced before. I’ve been to a UTEP, Memphis football game and the atmosphere at that game doesn’t even come close to comparing to how crazy and loud a Mizzou game can be. Being able to sit, well we don’t actually sit, in the student section and scream and cheer for Mizzou is one the best experiences I’ve had at college so far.

The upcoming years I spend at Mizzou will allow me to experience many different things, but being at a college football game as a student only happens a handful of times. And I plan on taking full advantage of being there and cheering on Mizzou’s best ever football team.

           

             

No comments: