Sunday, September 28, 2008

Field of Dreams?

Field of Dreams

 

We all know that Mizzou is a great place if you’re a sports fan, what with the football team being utterly dominating and what-not. So it comes as no surprise to many students that the campus is full of places where they can get their athletics on, so to speak. I may not be the most athletic of people (one look at me will tell you the same), but I love a good game of football, I’ve played wiffleball all my life, and I’ve grown quite fond of Ultimate Frisbee. And if you want to play any of these there’s one place to do it right, Stankowski Field.

 

            First, the boring, but ever important, background on Stankowski Field (or as it is lovingly referred to by me and my friends “Stank-House”). It is named after former MU quarterback Anton Stankowski. Anton was the quarterback from 1916 to 1919; he also coached the baseball team for 35 years and was the intramural athletic director for forty years.  The field itself contains sand volleyball courts, a running track, and football/soccer courts. The field is made of synthetic turf and anyone who has fallen on said turf will tell you that it hurts like hell.  The field is also located by the popular student recreation center, in case you feel like pumping some iron after a long game of soccer.

 

            Now let me tell a story about how I came to know Stankowski as my home for all things athletic. A group of us from seventh floor Gillett decided that we were fat and needed to do something. We decided on Ultimate Frisbee. Now, I had never played ultimate and was intrigued, so I tagged along. After learning how to play we started to play and met a good group of guys we still play with today. It also lead to the creation of the “Gillett Razors” the seventh floor’s ultimate Frisbee team.

 

            I conclusion, Stankowski is a great place if you’re a little on the plump side and looking to lose some weight, as I am.  It really is a treat to have such a great facility mere feet away from where I live. So if your ever in the mood to do a little running, play a game of soccer, toss the football around, or laugh at me trying to catch a frisbee there’s only one place for you, Stankowski Field. 


No comments: